Try FDA-Approved Micro-Needling SkinPen Therapy
Is it time for a little “Crease Release”?
Micro-Needling (one of the newest concepts in aesthetic skin treatment options) encourages your body to start repairing and rejuvenating your skin naturally! Thanks to the miracle of Micro-Needling you can firm, strengthen, lift and rejuvenate your skin tone and texture by increasing your own levels of collagen and elastin production. Micro-Needling is just as effective as ablative treatments such as IPL “Photo-Facials”, Laser Resurfacing, and Chemical Peels. But micro-needling is a fraction of the cost, lower risk and has little to no downtime! This article will service as a guide to micro-needling skin therapy with facts and instructions.
What is Micro-Needling and How is it Used?
Also referred to in the medical world as Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT), micro-needling has been cleared by the FDA for the treatment of many skin conditions.
Micro-Needling produces channels in the dermis which stimulate the body’s natural defenses to repair and produce concentrated amounts of collagen and proteins to the treated areas of skin. This stimulation results in a thickening of the skin by up to 80%, thereby smoothing scars, visibly reducing stretch marks and erasing wrinkles.
Although primarily used for full facial rejuvenation, micro-needling can be carried out anywhere on the body. This includes necks, chest, stretch marks on the thighs and abdomen, etc. Generally, micro-needling is safe on all skin types.
Micro-Needling has also been used to minimize pore size, improve surgical, traumatic, burn and acne scars and hyperpigmentation (brown spots and Melasma). Darker skin types are usually ideal candidates for Micro-Needling as they are more prone to side effects from lasers. It is also ideal for patients who do not want laser treatments but want more rejuvenation than what typical peels and microdermabrasion can offer. Micro-Needling can be done throughout the entire year, summer included. Whereas Lasers require a break during the summer months.
How does the “SkinPen” work?
Enhancing rejuvenation results with much less epidermal damage, the SkinPen introduces a series of multiple needles that vertically pierce the skin reaching the dermal layer (the live layer) of the skin where collagen and elastin fibers are located. The automatic vibrating function of the SkinPen increases the effectiveness of treatment by increasing absorption of products, while also reducing pain and discomfort. The sterile cartridge that houses the micro needles pulsates at a rate of 170 times per second.
Micro-Needling Treatment Instructions
- Avoid retinoids and treatments for auto-immune disease for 24 hours before your treatment
- Avoid sun exposure to the treated area for 24 hours before your treatment.
- Arrive at our office with a clean face (no makeup) except for numbing gel if desired.
- Do not schedule this procedure if you have used Accutane/Isotretinoin within the last 6 months.
- During the first 1-3 days you will look red (similar to a sunburn) and your skin may feel warm, rough and tight.
- Use a gentle cleanser with tepid water the first 3 days. Dry gently.
- Use only gentle skin care products for the first 3 days. After that you can resume your normal skin care regimen.
- Avoid makeup, retinoids, glycolic acids, vitamin C products and sunscreens the evening after your procedure.
- Avoid sun exposure for the following 3 days. After that, make sure to wear a sunscreen with at least SPF 30 daily.
- Avoid swimming, strenuous activity and exercising during the first 24 hours.
As with all aesthetic treatments we recommend a series of 3-5 micro-needling treatments, depending on your individual skincare need, performed every 4 weeks. More micro-needing may be necessary when treating scars and stretch marks. These treatments are performed in addition to your regular monthly aesthetic skincare treatments (i.e. Dermaplaning, Microdermabrasion, or Facials).
Why Choose Shangrila MedSpa?
As always, Shangrila MedSpa is on the cusp of cutting edge technology and is making this revolutionary technology available to our valued patients because of its safe and effective results. We are very pleased with our “Non-surgical and non-ablative” treatments, which are more skin-friendly and allow our patients to experience very little pain, a short downtime, and minimal risk for complications. Contact us today and schedule an appointment!
This article was written by Deb Alvarez, a valued member of our cosmetic skincare team at Shangrila MedSpa.
San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675.